- In a large pan or dutch oven mix together all the filling ingredients. Stirring frequently with a rubber spatula. You’ll want the mixture to come to a boil for 2-3 minutes. This will activate the corn starch which will start to thicken your filling. Once thickened, turn off the burner and set aside to cool.
- Prepare your crust, either a premade store crust or my par-baked recipe.
- After your par-baked crust has cooled, fill your pie crust with the filling.
- Create your lattice top.
- Roll out pie dough into a 12-inch circle, 1/8th of an inch thick. Keep dough floured and moving to avoid sticking to your work surface.
- Using a sharp knife or pizza cutter, cut the dough into 12 strips.
- Lay every other strip onto the pie, leaving about half an inch of space between. Gently fold back every other strip, until you can lay a new strip of dough in the opposite direction in the center of the pie. After laying down the new strip, fold the dough back down and lift the other strips this time, and lay down a new strip about half of an inch below the new one you had added before. Repeat this step until half of the pie is finished. Turn the pie and repeat the same steps until you’ve completed your lattice pattern.
- Trim off the excess pie dough. You will want to beat an egg and brush under the strip edges so that they adhere to the pre-baked pie shell. Use the remaining egg to brush/dab on your lattice top carefully then sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Place pie back on the preheated pizza stone and baking sheet to finish baking. *If you do not have a pizza stone, that is okay. A baking sheet works perfectly well*
- Bake for 20 minutes at 425. Reduce heat to 350 and continue baking for 30-40 minutes or until your crust is a nice golden brown and your filling has started to bubble out a bit. Be sure to keep an eye on your crust, if at any time it’s getting too brown, cover with foil.
- Remove from the oven and cool for at least 3 hours.
- Serving Size: 1 Slice
- Calories: 395
- Sugar: 26.3 g
- Sodium: 344.1 mg
- Fat: 17.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 56.6 g
- Fiber: 3.9 g
- Protein: 4.5 g
- Cholesterol: 23.3 mg
Keywords: thanksgiving blueberry pie, easy blueberry pie recipe