2 cups All-Purpose Flour, additional for your work surface
1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
1/2 teaspoon Salt
2 1/2 teaspoons Baking Powder
1/2 cup Unsalted Butter, frozen
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons for brushing Heavy Cream
1 large Egg
1 1/2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
3/4 cup Chocolate Chunks
3/4 cup Dried Cherries
Turbinado sugar for topping
- Preheat your oven to 400 F, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat.
- In a large bowl whisk together the all-purpose flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder. Set this aside.
- Using a box grater or cheese grater to grate 1 stick of frozen unsalted butter.
- Adding the grated frozen butter to the flour mixture. Using your hands or a pastry cutter mix the butter into the flour until you have pea-sized flour crumbs.
- Store your flour/butter mixture in the freezer to keep cold while prepping the rest of the ingredients.
- In a medium bowl add the heavy cream, egg, and vanilla. Whisk to combine.
- Remove the flour mixture from the freezer. Add the cream mixture, dried cherries, and chocolate chips to the flour.
- Mix together until combined. The mixture will be wet and crumbly.
- Pour out onto a well-floured surface and shape into an 8-disk. Use a silicone mat with measurements to make this process easier.
- Using either a sharp knife or bench scraper, dip it into flour then cut the disk into 8 wedges.
- Place your wedges on your prepared baking sheet. Leaving about 2 inches of space in between.
- Brush the tops with heavy cream using a silicone brush or pastry brush. At this time sprinkle the top with turbinado sugar.
- While waiting for the oven to preheat, stick the baking sheet in the fridge to stay cool while you wait. 10 minutes at least.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until lightly golden and the cream has set on top.
- Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes.
- Make sure your butter is very very cold or frozen. Similar to a pie crust cold butter will help in the beautiful scone texture.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Treats
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Scottish
- Serving Size: 1 scone
- Calories: 398
- Sugar: 23.2 g
- Sodium: 173.9 mg
- Fat: 19.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 50.2 g
- Fiber: 1.7 g
- Protein: 5.7 g
- Cholesterol: 65.9 mg
Keywords: chocolate cherry scones