1 cup shortening (substitute unsalted butter)
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup sour cream
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
- Cream together slightly softened butter and sugar using a stand mixer, 5-7 minutes.
- Using a hand mixer or whisk, beat together eggs and vanilla. Add this mixture to your creamed butter and sugar.
- In a large bowl sift together, flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder.
- Beat the flour mixture and the sour cream into the wet mix. Alternate adding each ingredient to allow each to fully incorporate.
- Place dough mixture onto plastic wrap. Wrap tightly and chill for at least 3 hours. BEST if chilled overnight.
- After chilling: Preheat oven to 350 F. Prepare two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll out cookie dough between two sheets of liberally floured parchment or wax paper to 1/2 inch thick. Add flour as you go. Dough IS sticky and can be hard to work with.
- Flour desired cookie cutters and cut one at a time, flouring cookie cutter in between cuts. Carefully place cookie dough onto prepared parchment-lined baking sheets.
- Bake for 11 minutes. Allow cooling on a baking sheet or cooling rack. If frosting, cool completely.
- Visit here, for a lovely Buttercream Frosting recipe to top your sugar cookie with.
- *Not using cookie-cutter* – Roll two tbsp into a ball and place it on your baking sheet. Gently tap to press into flat circles, or leave round.
- *Optional* – Sprinkle lightly with sugar before baking. This is a good option if you’re not putting frosting into your cookie.
- Cook Time: 11 minutes
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: fluffy sugar cookies, soft sugar cookies, bakery style cookies