Enjoy our Soft and Chewy Gingerbread Cookies that have a sweet outer crunch and soft chewy center and are beautifully spiced. Made with my homemade gingerbread spice blend they're the perfect cookie for this holiday season.
Chewy gingerbread cookies are my favorite, so bold in that dark molasses and spicey flavors. I don't often use any decoration on these, but they would be just as delicious with a gingerbread spice glaze drizzled on top.
Soft gingerbread cookies are a great treat for Santa and his helpers! These cute little snowman cookies are tasty too! Glass of milk required. Enjoy!
Important Ingredients with Substitutions
- Gingerbread Spice - Gingerbread spice is a tasty mix of ground cinnamon, ground ginger, nutmeg, allspice, and clove.
- Unsalted butter - Softened to room temperature, set out 30 minutes before making your cookies.
- Brown sugar - I'm all for a little extra flavor, so I tend to mix my light and brown sugar together. One large package of light and one small package of dark brown sugar.
- Cold brewed coffee - Have any leftover coffee in the pot? I know I do, always. Don't let it go to waste.
- Molasses - I love the Grandmas brand, always tasty and never lets me down. Use dark, unsulphured molasses, don't use blackstrap.
- White granulated sugar (separated)
See the recipe below for the full list of ingredients and quantities.
Instructions for Soft and chewy Gingerbread Cookies
Step 1: In a medium bowl sift together the all-purpose flour, baking soda, gingerbread spice, and sea salt.
Step 2: In another mixing bowl, cream together the softened butter, and white and brown sugar until fluffy.
Step 3: Add in the egg, cold coffee, and molasses. Blend together until combined.
Add the flour ½ at a time until fully incorporated.
Step 4: Cover with plastic wrap and chill the cookie dough in the fridge for 30 minutes.
Step 5: Preheat your oven and line a couple of large baking sheets with parchment paper once your dough has chilled.
Step 6: Roll the gingerbread dough into small balls and gently roll it into the bowl of sugar and place it on the parchment-lined cookie sheet 2 inches apart.
Step 7: Bake for 12-14 minutes. Cool for 5-10 minutes before removing from the pan.
Store your Gingerbread cookies at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks. I like to store mine in a clear glass cookie jar on the countertop. The kiddos love this. The cookies are most flavorful if eaten within the first week.
Freezing: Prepare your cookie dough up until you're supposed to bake. Instead, lay them on a tray and freeze them for an hour. After that, place them in a Ziploc bag and freeze them for up to 3 months.
Bake from frozen: Pull out of the freezer while your oven is preheating then bake for 12 - 14 minutes.
Level Up With Expert Tips & Tricks
Don't overmix: Overmixing will result in a tougher cookie, we want our gingerbread cookie recipe to turn out soft and chewy.
Chill your dough: If your cookie dough is chilled, rolling it into balls will be a lot easier. Chill for 30 minutes at least.
Yes! I love doing this. You can either bake them up to 2 weeks ahead of time and keep them stored in an airtight container or freeze them. Another option would be to prepare your cookie dough up until the point of baking. Then place them in the freezer to harden, then store them in a Ziploc in the freezer until ready to bake. You can bake them from frozen when you need them.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
Soft and Chewy Gingerbread Cookies
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour sifted
- 1 ½ teaspoons Baking Soda
- 2.5 tablespoons Gingerbread Spice Check below for a breakdown
- ¼ teaspoons sea salt
- ¾ cup unsalted butter softened
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons cold brewed coffee
- ⅔ cup molasses
- ¼ cup white granulated sugar
- In a medium bowl sift together the all-purpose flour, baking soda, gingerbread spice, and sea salt.2 ½ cups all-purpose flour, 1 ½ teaspoons Baking Soda, 2.5 tablespoons Gingerbread Spice, ¼ teaspoons sea salt
- In another mixing bowl, cream together the softened butter, and white and brown sugar until fluffy.¾ cup unsalted butter softened, ¾ cup brown sugar, ¼ cup white granulated sugar
- Add in the egg, cold coffee, and molasses. Blend together until combined.1 egg, 2 tablespoons cold brewed coffee, ⅔ cup molasses
- Add the flour ½ at a time until fully incorporated.
- Cover and chill the cookie dough in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 350F and line a couple of large baking sheets with parchment paper once your dough has chilled.
- Roll the gingerbread dough into small balls and gently roll it into the bowl of sugar and place it on the parchment-lined cookie sheet 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes. Cool for 5-10 minutes before removing from the pan.
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ginger
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon cloves