Get ready to impress with these amazing Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins! Bursting with flavor and sweetness, this tasty treat is sure to please all. With just the right amount of crunchy poppy seeds and zesty lemon glaze, it’s a quick-to-make recipe for lemon lovers.
Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that, at zero cost to you, I will earn an affiliate commission if you click through the link and finalize a purchase.
Mix It, Bake It, & Eat It!
As you can see I had some fun with poppy seeds. When you spill them, you just have to “make it work” right. Lemon Poppyseed Muffins scream Spring to me. As I write this we are just between winter and spring, so making these really got me excited for the warmth that’s soon to come.
How To Enjoy Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
- Enjoy a Lemon Poppy Seed Muffin topped with butter and jam, devour them with a cup of tea, or add a scoop of ice cream for an extra special treat.
- Make mini muffins as a bite-sized snack.
- Wrap up several muffins to give away as gifts – they’re always appreciated!
- Take a few on a spring picnic!
Gathering Your Ingredients
- All-Purpose Flour
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- Lemon Zest – This recipe relies on the lemon flavor that comes from fresh lemon zest. Be generous!
- Poppy Seeds – Find organic poppy seeds are your local store’s spice/baking section.
- Avocado Oil
- Lemon Yogurt – Use your favorite yogurt that has a really nice fresh lemon flavor. Greek yogurt, regular milk yogurt, or even sour cream with added lemon extract will do the trick.
- White Granulated Sugar
- Milk – Swap out regular cow’s milk for soy, oat, or almond milk.
- Vanilla Extract
- Powdered Sugar
- Lemon Juice – As always fresh lemon juice is ideal, but store-bought lemon juice is also just as great.
Kitchen Supplies I Use
How To Make Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
Preheat your oven to 375F, and prep your muffin tin with nonstick spray or muffin cups.
In a large bowl sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add lemon zest and poppy seeds. Whisk to combine.
In a separate bowl add eggs, avocado oil, lemon yogurt, sugar, milk, and vanilla extract. Whisk together.
Add your wet mixture to your flour mixture; mix to combine.
Fill your muffin cups 3/4 of the way full with muffin batter. Bake for 12-15 minutes until golden brown or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
For the lemon glaze, combine powdered sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl; drizzle glaze on top of the cooled muffins.
Keep the Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days for the best flavor.
For longer storage, store leftover Muffins in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- For added richness add 2 tablespoons of melted butter to the mixture.
- Try using Greek yogurt instead of regular yogurt in this recipe, it adds an extra tanginess that compliments citrus flavors perfectly!
- Add blueberries for another fun variation.
Can I use other types of yogurt in this recipe?
Yes, you can definitely use any type of yogurt in this recipe. Greek, coconut, almond, or cashew yogurt all work great!
Are Poppy seeds safe to eat?
Yes, poppy seeds are safe to eat and are a delicious addition to Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins. Poppy seeds are a great source of dietary fiber and contain several essential vitamins and minerals.
Is there another liquid I can use instead of milk?
Yes! You may substitute almond milk or oat milk if desired.
- Be generous when adding lemon zest -it brings such a powerful punch of flavor from natural citrus fruit.
- For best results use freshly squeezed lemon juice for the glaze.
- Be sure not to overmix the batter, this causes a tough crumb structure that won’t be light and moist.
- Garnish with fresh lemons sliced very thinly.
Try these other similar recipes!
- Easy Lemon Blueberry Bundt Cake with Sour Cream
- Delicious White Chocolate Cranberry Biscotti
- Chewy Blueberry Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Soft & Chewy Gingerbread Cookies
- The Best Cinnamon Coffee Cake
Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
Get ready to impress with these amazing Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins! Bursting with flavor and sweetness, this tasty treat is sure to please all.
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 10 muffins 1x
2 cups All-Purpose Flour
1 1/4 teaspoons Baking Powder
3/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1 tablespoon Lemon Zest
2 tablespoons Poppy Seeds
1/2 cup Avocado Oil
5.3 ounces Lemon Yogurt
3/4 cup White Granulated Sugar
1/2 cup Milk
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1/2 cup Powdered Sugar
2 teaspoons Lemon Juice
- Preheat your oven to 375F, and prep your muffin tin with nonstick spray or muffin liners.
- In a large bowl sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add lemon zest and poppy seeds. Whisk to combine.
- In a medium mixing bowl add eggs, avocado oil, lemon yogurt, sugar, milk, and vanilla extract. Whisk together.
- Add your wet mixture to your flour mixture, mix to combine.
- Fill your muffin liners 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Combine powdered sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl. Top your cooled muffins with the glaze.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Muffins
- Method: Baked
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 302
- Sugar: 22.1 g
- Sodium: 232.6 mg
- Fat: 12.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 43.1 g
- Fiber: 1.1 g
- Protein: 4.6 g
- Cholesterol: 37.4 mg